The University of Southampton is large, public University with a global reputation for cutting-edge research and innovation. Part of the exclusive Russell Group, often likened to the UK equivalent of the Ivy League, the University of Southampton is ranked 8th in the UK for research intensity and proud to be ranked within the top 100 universities worldwide (QS World Rankings 2021).
With 6,500 international students from 130 countries, the university offers a friendly, welcoming and multicultural environment for you to thrive. Despite a large student population, the University provides an intimate and community-driven experience in a leafy green suburban campus.
University of Southampton offer strengths across a wide range of academic disciplines including Humanities, Social Sciences, Engineering, Sciences and Medicine.
Outstanding areas of note include the Optoelectronics Research Centre, the Web Science Institute, the Institute for Sound and Vibration Research, the Parkes Institute for Jewish/Non-Jewish Relations, the Portus Project (Maritime Archaeology) and the National Oceanography Centre Southampton. Southampton pride themselves on collaborations with business and industry and encourage students to be entrepreneurial and take advantage of these links. Southampton is one of 5 UK universities to be part of SETSquared, the world’s number one Business Incubator, created to support students with high-tech startups. The university has also been ranked within the top three Universities in the world for the quality of our ‘spinout companies’, with three floated on the stock market.
SOUTH COAST CITY LIFE
Located on the south coast of England and just over one hour from London, the city of Southampton has one of the warmest climates in the UK. Famous for the sailing of the Titanic in 1912, Southampton is surrounded by places of historical interest, such as Winchester (ancient capital of England), Stonehenge and Salisbury, which provided inspiration for the novels of Jane Austen. Southampton has excellent transport links to the UK and European cities via train, car, coach, ferry and plane.
This friendly and safe maritime English city has about 240,000 residents (with around 50,000 students) and offers some of the finest theater, music and film venues as well as a thriving independent café and bar scene. Southampton is a fantastic option for students who want a smaller, community-oriented city but want to be within close reach of London. Southampton also provides numerous opportunities to get involved, with one of the largest Students Unions in the UK with over 300 student groups to join.
CAMPUSES OF UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON
Southampton is made up of six different campuses located across Southampton and Winchester, as well as the recently formed University of Southampton Malaysian Campus in EduCity at Iskandar.
- The Highfield Campus hosts the majority of academic programs and boasts a hub of activity, including sports facilities, a cinema, bars and restaurants, the Hartley Library, Students Union and weekly campus market
- The Avenue Campus houses the Faculty of Humanities along with the Center for Language Study. It also has its own library, lecture theaters and catering facilities
- The National Oceanography Center Southampton is one of the top global research centers for the study of the ocean and earth sciences
- Southampton General Hospital is home to the University’s Faculty of Medicine
- Founded in 1863, the Winchester School of Art is located just twelve miles north of Southampton in Winchester. The Schools of Art boasts unique purpose-designed buildings including specialist art and design studios, workshops, a library with special collections, The Winchester Gallery and Students' Union
- The Boldrewood Innovation Campus is home to some of our most up-to-date buildings and facilities. It houses their center for innovation, business, and education in maritime engineering and engineering sciences
The Southampton campuses are all linked by the university’s UniLink bus service, which is free for all students who are living in the Halls of Residence.
Please contact one of our UK Study Experts to find out more about studying at the University of Southampton.