Important FAQs for UK Study

May 1, 2017 7:00:00 PM

Here are some of the most popular questions about the application process to the UK that we receive at Across The Pond…


Is ATP really a FREE service? How is that possible?

Yes! Across The Pond’s service is absolutely free. We will never charge you for our service. We are a recognized international agent, funded by the British universities we are partnered with, to recruit Canadian students.

Everyone who is working for ATP has studied in Britain themselves, and so they know what it can be like to apply – confusing, overwhelming, and stressful. We want to make your application process as smooth and easy as it can be!


Isn’t the UK expensive? How can I afford it?

The cost of living and tuition really varies from university to university, from city to city. You’ll find that there are options for many kinds of budgets as well as many ways to fund your studies.

London and other major cities are at the high end of the spectrum for UK cost of living. If you feel that you can’t afford to study in London, why not locate somewhere else; live more inexpensively, and make regular visits to London (nothing is ever too far away!). ATP is partnered with many different universities all over the UK, including England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, so there is a locale for all preferences.

You might also consider that by studying for a shorter time period (3 year undergraduates in England, 1 year graduate programmes), you could be saving money on the cost of tuition in Canada.

There are opportunities to receive Canadian funding to go abroad. All the British universities who are partnered with Across The Pond accept the federal portion of Canadian student loans. You can also apply for provincial loans, like OSAP, which you can use for certain schools in the UK.

As a student on a Tier 4 Visa, you can also work part-time. There are many jobs available for students; work up to 20 hours a week during term time and 40 hours a week during non-term time. It’s a common way to get work experience internationally, and also earn some money.

Each UK university will also have a range of scholarships for students based on grades, extra-curriculars, programmes, or nationalities. Your ATP Advisor can help direct you to these during the application process, and to the scholarships offered exclusively by ATP for our students!


What are the entry requirements – Will I get in?

Entry requirements range between universities. Part of the ATP advisors’ job is to match you with the universities that best suit your profile, where you will be an ideal candidate! We have something to offer everyone, almost regardless of your background (both when it comes to previous experience and grades).


What is a Visa, and do I need one?

It’s more than likely you will need a Visa. A Visa is your entry clearance to remain in the UK for the length of your study, and anyone who is not a UK citizen or EU citizen will need one. The typical type of Visa a student will need is a Tier 4 Student Visa, which you apply for once you have accepted an offer and confirmation from a university. You can only apply for your Visa in the three-month period before your start date, so it will be one of the last things you have to worry about.


If you’ve ever asked yourself one of these questions, we can help! Your ATP advisor is an expert in the UK university application process and can give you all the information you need to help you on your way to study in Great Britain.

If you would like to find out more about studying in the UK, please contact one of our Advisors.

Download The Essential Checklist for Studying in the UK