The number of Canadian students who wish to study law in the UK continues to grow and we are proud to be partnered with some of the best law schools in the country. Whether you are looking to study an LLB (qualifying law degree) or an LLM (Master of Laws), our UK partner universities offer plenty of excellent programs. The LLB, or qualifying law degree, is the UK equivalent of a Canadian LLB or JD and is completed at the undergraduate level. The standard LLB is a 3-year program. However, some universities offer a 2-year “graduate entry” or “senior status” LLB for students who have previously completed an undergraduate honours degree. The 2-year LLB will, in many cases, require a certain level of GPA achievement. Across The Pond’s expert student advisors have considerable experience in advising candidates on the appropriate options to select according to your academic and professional profile, so be sure to get in touch to find out which program would be best for you!
The degrees offered at our partner universities are recognized around the world. When you return to Canada to start a bar admissions program you must have your UK law degree assessed by the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA) and obtain a Certificate of Qualification. This assessment is based on you demonstrating your competency in 10 core courses, some of which focus on Canadian law content. UK law degrees do not generally include Canadian-specific content, so competency in these areas must be demonstrated through written Challenge Exams or by completing NCA-approved alternative courses from a Canadian Law school provider. The Challenge Exams will be based on self-study and can be completed at specific times each year.
While the NCA will make an individualized assessment, based on our experience, students who complete the 3-year LLB will be required to complete 5 Challenge Exams. Students who take a 2-year option will need to complete an additional 2 exams. Alternatively, pursuing an LLM after the 2-year degree may negate the requirement for additional challenge. We recommend that candidates seriously consider pursuing an LLM in order to specialize in a particular area of law while earning a graduate level qualification.
Benefits of studying law in the UK
- Apply for a 3-year LLB directly out of high school
- Qualify in just 2 years with a Senior Status LLB degree (when you already have an undergraduate degree)
- Study in the country where common law originated
- Boost your career prospects with an international education
- The UK’s unique tutorial system allows you to benefit by studying in small classes with increased opportunities to interact with your professors
- Interact with other Canadian and international students while you study
- Comparable tuition fees to top-tier Canadian law schools
- Work placement opportunities available at many schools
- Combined degrees in English (Common) Law and French Law available with a year abroad in a French-speaking university for those wishing to practice in Quebec
Benefits of applying to British Law Schools
- No LSAT Required
- Apply to five law schools for only £23 (approximately $50 CAD)
- More schools overall to choose from
- More places available than at Canadian Law Schools
- Across The Pond Advisors can help to further improve your chances of acceptance
Applications considered on a rolling basis, and late applications are possible with many of our partners.
A Master of Laws degree provides you with an opportunity to develop academic and professional expertise in a particular area of law. Upon completion of a 1-year LLM degree, as a legal expert/consultant, you will be qualified to work in a wide range of settings including advocacy with NGOs, international relations, government, policy advising, administration and many more.
If you already hold an undergraduate degree you can enroll in a Senior Status LLB program followed by an LLM, completing both qualifications in just 3 years compared with the 4 years it would take to do at a Canadian law school!
If you hold an undergraduate degree already and wish to specialize in a subject connected to Law, the LLM could also be a viable option for you, as it will allow you to distinguish yourself through your research (this will not, though, qualify you to practice law).
Find out what Law degrees are available. Contact one of the Across The Pond UK Study Experts for more information.
Across The Pond universities offering Law
Across The Pond are official Canadian representatives for the Law Schools listed below: